Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Some Musings on Libertarianism and my Ever-Evolving Political Views

In respone to my First in Freedom post, Sid writes:

Smokers Outside the Hospital Doors? How appropriate since the Libertarian regulation-free ideal would allow smokers inside the hospital doors. That doesn't matter quite as much as the fact that the hospital would be able to refuse care for any reason, including age, race, or sex. And those locked out of the hospital doors may have no other choice since Libertarian ideals permit monopolies. The real irony is that some of the people would become ill from the irresponsible waste disposal policies of the hospital. After all, the Libertarians believe that the government should restrict such things.

Libertarianism always sounds nice on the surface. But they fail to recognize a few things. First, free markets cease to be free the moment monopolies appear. They eliminate a pillar of a truly free market - customer choice. Second, the free market has no morality. Companies are often more profitable without pollutions controls and work place safety and with child labor. Thirdly, lack of regulation in the financial industry would permit dangerously amplified boom-bust cycles that could result in a collapse of the financial system. Finally, government welfare programs are more stable then any charity based on voluntary contributions could ever be. Given a widespread downturn in the economy, charitable giving would naturally decrease just when that aid was most needed.

My response:

Thanks for the comment - you raise some interesting points.

First I'd like to clarify that I'm not what you might categorize as a true free market Libertarian. My political identity is still evolving but I would generally describe my views as socially liberal and fiscally conservative. Often times when you add those two together they equal a Libertarian.

Many of the issues you raise are definitely worth considering. I don’t intend to address each point you make here but I will tackle a few.

First I’ll begin with government welfare systems since that is one area that I feel strongly about. For starters, if shifting away from government welfare programs led to a net decrease in charity I would lose no sleep over it. I have the right to give all of my money to charity or none at all. The government’s ability to control what should otherwise be my discretionary income should be severely, if not completely, limited.

Since you attacked some positions that I don’t necessarily hold I’ll raise one that you didn’t address. Fair enough? ;) I am definitely for the legalization of all drugs. Marijuana should be treated as alcohol is today, except that the drinking / smoking age should be lowered (probably to 16 or eliminated altogether) and there shouldn’t be any regulation over the naming of the label (there actually is if you weren’t aware already). I think hard drugs, like heroin, should be intelligently regulated. That is to say that advertising for them would be severely limited and a doctor’s prescription would be required for all purchases.

It should be noted that my positions are tentative and will likely change due to further education and introspection. I’ll definitely post more about these issues in the future so stay tuned!

3 comments:

sidfaiwu July 16, 2008 at 11:11 AM  

I must admit that after I submitted the comment, I realized I forgot to mention that there are aspects of Libertarianism that I like. My favorite plank in the Libertarian platform is their legalization of what I call 'self-crime'. Simply put, a self-crime is any crime where the only victim is one's self. Using drugs falls under this category as does not wearing a safety belt. So I'm with you on the legalization of drugs. I also agree that the really addictive stuff must be regulated in some fashion since it's so difficult to 'go back' once one's started.

I also like the end of ongoing government subsidies to business. There are times when subsidies are important, like when the collapse of one industry would have a domino effect and bring down the whole economy. But most often subsidies are given to appease special interest and/or particular constituencies.

I once described myself as a social liberal and a fiscal conservative until I started noticing which side won in my mind when the two were in conflict. The largest intersection of the fiscal and social world in government is welfare. I've come down on the side of welfare in many cases and now must admit that I'm a fiscal moderate.

Part of the reason is personal. Welfare worked for my family when I was a child. Welfare kept us from slipping into deep poverty and allowed my mother to work her way back to the middle class. So I know that the program can and does work. It frightens me to think where my three siblings and I would be if it were not for Welfare.

"I have the right to give all of my money to charity or none at all. The government’s ability to control what should otherwise be my discretionary income should be severely, if not completely, limited."

This puts me in the unenviable position of defending the position that the government should 'force' citizens to give to the poor. In fact, this is exactly what makes Libertarianism so seductive. It holds freedom as the highest ideal and disparages any mandates from government. Anyone arguing against Libertarianism takes the a position against some freedom - in this case the freedom to not give to the poor.

One philosophical problem I have with unbridled freedom is that it too often includes freedom from responsibility. Libertarianism would work if everyone took responsibility. As too often happens, reality falls short of the ideal.

Imagine if the government couldn't compel it's citizens to contribute to anything. Roads and highways would be built and maintained on donations, sewer systems and water treatment plants would as well. In the extreme case, the military would be funded voluntarily as well. We have a responsibility to contribute to these shared resources. Taxes insure that we meet our responsibilities.

I would argue that we also have a responsibility to mitigate poverty because it is also a collective social interest. Stark income disparities and disenfranchised populations lead to crime and, possibly, revolution. Reducing the disparities and ensuring equal financial opportunity (through eduction and other programs) reduces crime and creates stability.

I would also invoke a version of John Rawls's "veil of ignorance" and structure government without knowing ahead of time what my own economic circumstance would be. What would I find the most fair in such a case? If I were rich, it would be more akin to Libertarian economic philosophy. If I were poor, I'd want wealth redistribution and programs to ensure that I have the opportunity to exit poverty. Using Rawls' thought experiment, I wouldn't know which group I'd belong to so the most fair policy would be one that includes both protections for wealth and some redistribution of wealth - a compromise.

SkeptiCool July 16, 2008 at 11:07 PM  

Man, you raise a bunch of great points! All of the examples you mention are very interesting and complex problems and I'd rather not go through them one-by-one merely listing my positions on each.

Rather, I'd like to come back to some of the broader ideas your comment provokes. In future posts I will address market failures vs. government failures, the flaws in protectionism, and consequential vs. fundamental Libertarianism.

Thanks Sid - hope you stick around!

sidfaiwu July 21, 2008 at 9:20 AM  

That sounds good. I'll keep an eye out for future posts.